Friday, October 30, 2009

Visitors

This week we had a few visitors and I must say that I definitely look forward to them, even if they only pull into the yard for a few minutes.  I guess it makes me feel more like home and not a visitor here myself.
Our first was not actually a visitor, but more like a roaming neighbor.  The guys came back from a day of checking beaver traps and had seen tracks from a very large grizzly.  He came out from a trail in the bush onto the road about 4-5 kms from our cabin.  The grizzly then followed the truck tracks in the snow, ( in the opposite direction of the cabins) for probably 4 kms and then veered off back into the bush.  This was not a small animal either, his hind pad tracks measured near 9 inches and then there were toes and claws beyond that!
Second was a Parks and Rec officer that stopped by on wednesday.  He had heard we were out here and new quite a lot about us.  He of course, came out to remind us of the rules, since we are in a provincial park.  So far so good, no tickets are being issued as of yet!
But one interesting thing that he mentioned is that we will have visitors of another kind come December, a migrating caribou herd.  He even gave us an exact date to watch out for them since they are that predictable. We will definitely be waiting and watching for those visitors.
Another visitor(s) we sometimes get are Larry and Ingie.  This is who Paul and Tim are signed up to trap with.  They or usually he, are just passing through on their way to Mason Creek or from Twenty Mile, where they also have a cabin.  Larry is proving to be quite the mentor to the guys, teaching and telling them a little more each time we see him about all he knows of the area and his trapping experiences.  From what I have heard, he has spent a lot of time in these parts and a lot of winters eating nothing but a diet of rice, beans, flour and lard.  It makes me very thankful for the variety of food that we were able to bring in with us.  Not to mention the fact that he himself, went to Costco for us on his last trip to Prince George, that was nice.
Now that the snow has started, 7 inches today, and more in the forcast, we also expect to start getting visitors from "town", Germansen Landing.  Most of the people we know and have met are quite happy to have a reason to come out to the lake in the winter via snowmobile.  We are quite looking forward to it, so that we can provide the hospitality to them that they show to us.  So let the snow fly!
The trappers have now got a total of 12 beaver, and will soon start to but out the marten and fisher boxes.  Marten boxes are plywood boxes about 6x6x10, the fisher are a little larger, with one open end that the trap goes into and the other end has a mesh backing.  This enables the animal to smell the bait that is inside.  They will first start by putting them out at the desired locations so that the animals get used to them.  Then probably later in November actually start after these fur bearing animals and others.  This way winter will have set in and the animals will have a better coat.  The trappers were actually going to start on the day they saw the grizzly tracks, good thing they didn't because he would have torn down every one he came across and ate the bait!  Would have been a very poor start!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Folks, Good to hear your enjoying the bush. Those must have been some grizzly tracks. I just measure 9 inches out and added my toes and fingers to it and it scared the heck out of me. Just to let you know your blog got me started and if your feeling homesick for Bonnyville you can follow it at http://outandabout-hutty.blogspot.com
    Wow, Seven inches of snow already. We've only had a little here and it keeps melting. Today was plus 3 and warmer for tomorrow. If this is winter I'll take it. We've also had some nice rains that are adding much needed moisture to the soil.
    I've gotta run for now cause we're going to a Pontiacs hockey game tonight.
    All the best.
    Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Love your posts! I’ve added you to my favorites and I promise to be back to check on you now and then, to see how you guys are fairing.

    So what do I really, truly, and honestly think about what you and Paul are doing?

    I honestly wish all of you well. There is a part of me that thinks this is crazy but there is another part of me that has a deep curiosity about how the experience will change and shape your family. I can see challenges ahead but I can also see that this experience will deepen the connection between all of you.

    Denis and I are in a unique situation to have some understanding of what you are all experiencing. When he went off to work in Africa everyone shook their heads and wondered what we were thinking. It was hard at times to have him gone and having to handle to full family load alone. But I would do it again. I love my husband and it is as important to me that he experience his dreams, as it is that I experience my own. When he worked overseas I was told: “You’re a good woman. I don’t know if I could do what you are doing.” I’m sure you heard this as well.

    I truly love my husband and I want him to be happy. And as he expands the limits of his world, I want to accompany him on that journey. People often say that they support their spouse, but how many of them really do? How many of them truly are willing to put the needs of their spouse as a priority. Many refuse to see an opportunity. They get fearful and shut down possibilities.

    Denis and I both want each other to be happy; we support each others dream and goals, not just with words but with actions. I admire his ambition, and I support his desire to get out and experience the world. In return he supports my desire to stay home and pursue a writing career. He helps edit my writing, he washes dishes, does laundry, and manages Lyric while I clunk away on the computer polishing up my book. I am a lucky woman. I have wonderful husband. It is easy to support his dreams and goals.

    So I understand why you are doing this.

    (I often have thoughts of packing up and getting away from it all but it would be someplace a lot warmer).

    Life is short.

    Dreams are meant to be pursued and not just talked about.
    If you are not growing together you are growing apart.

    If you want to teach your children to really live, you have to show them.

    Again, I wish you all the best. I don’t believe that it has been easy. Between having young children, and sustaining such a profound family loss, you all have a lot on your plates. But your lives will forever be shaped by this experience.

    Take care! Oh and Lyric wants to pass on a message to Sasha: “I hope you are having a good time there.”

    Shannon Ouellette

    ReplyDelete